You will need to make radical changes in your habits to maintain long-term weight loss. We have 66 days to do this together with the help of Fatster and the community because a habit is actually lost in 66 days (see How Long Does it Actually Take to Form a New Habit?).
Research from the US NWCR (National Weight Control Registry) shows that the following habits are effective for people who have lost a lot of weight without regaining it:
- 78% of people eat breakfast every day.
- 62% of people watch less than 10 hours of television per week.
- 90% of people exercise, on average, about one hour a day.
Your habits will largely determine the success of your weight loss over the long term.
To develop a healthy eating habit, we recommend this simple approach:
- Choose a specific habit that you wish to change. For example, “stop drinking soda”.
- Start with a very small step. Replace a soda (coke, sprite, etc.) with water this week. That’s all you have to do.
- Focus on the journey. Commit to the process, not the goal. Take small daily steps and you’ll turn any bad habit into a good habit.
- Track your progress using Fatster App. Write down the steps you take each day. It will take you 30 seconds. The rewards will be worth it.
That’s why we offer Fatster challenges that will help you with nutrition (eating healthier), activity (3 hours of exercise every week) and weight maintenance.
Losing weight is a marathon, not a sprint. So take it easy. Focus on one habit at a time.
Above all, believe in yourself and your ability to take charge of your health and your future.